As a single mom, your entire life is wrapped around your child(ren). You don’t have time or energy to think about anything that does not directly impact your child’s life. You ensure that everything runs smoothly so your child can have the best life that they can have. But it’s okay to take a moment to think of yourself too.
I want to treat myself big time, but it’s extremely hard to do so right now. Instead, I have to find inexpensive ways to treat myself in small ways on an average day. It makes me feel rejuvenated and ready to continue the experience of raising this amazingly feisty and overactive preschooler.
This is a lesson that I’m still learning myself, but one that is very important to your own well-being. Happy mom, happy life!
So single moms…what do you do just for you? I love finding some inexpensive ways to treat myself on an average day. Here are some things that I do just for me:
- Blogging. This is one thing that I do just for me that brings me peace and relaxation. It is a way for me to build a community where I may be unable to do otherwise, due to my lack of social activity while being a single parent.
- Take time off for you. My office is closed the week between Christmas and New Year for a holiday break. Last year, I took off the couple of days before Christmas for a full 2 weeks off. It was an amazing time – I sent Micah to school each day, and I did simple things everyday. I went for a walk, finalized my Christmas shopping, got a much needed massage and even went to the hair salon. It was an amazing time off; I was able to truly enjoy the time off just for me.
- Plan an outing with your friends. Make some time to get out and enjoy time with your friends every now and then. You could do it over lunch while working so you don’t have to get a babysitter for the night. But sometimes, you should get out for the evening – set up a trusted person (or even your child’s father) to watch your child while you get out for the night.
- Stay active. An increase in activity will help keep you physically and mentally fit. You can reduce anxiety and stress, and your self-esteem and self-confidence will increase. I take regular walks throughout the day at work, especially when I find myself extremely stressed with work, home, or school. It definitely helps me to clear my mind and learn to relax a bit.
- Take a hot and relaxing bath. Yes, as a parent it is the most difficult thing to get in the bathroom without any company, but when you can squeeze it in, try to take a hot and relaxing bath. Take advantage of some essential oils and candles, and just relax in the bath. It’s another great way to de-stress and relax.
- Take a nap. You would not believe how relaxing a nap is for single moms. On weekends, I make sure to squeeze in a nap, especially when Micah is taking his nap. The laundry, lunch, or your favorite show can wait until you wake up from your nap. After our naps, I am rejuvenated and ready to go!
- Enjoy a long drive. Whether it’s your commute or taking the long way to the store, enjoy a slightly longer drive than usual can turn into an enjoyable one. Turn up the music, sing at the top of your lungs, and enjoy the moment. Doing this helps me tremendously – I actually enjoy this little treat every day on my commute to and from work, and I have lots of fun doing it.
- Grab some coffee and read a book. Head out to your local coffee shop and read the book that has been collecting dust on your nightstand.
It is extremely important to do something just for you…and to realize that it does not mean that you’re being selfish. It means that you are working on making yourself happy so that you will be a happier mom. What are some things that you do just for yourself on an average day? Share in the comments below!